It has been a few years since I first installed the media center and I have gone through a few iterations since its inception so I thought I’d write an update on what has changed.
I have recently gotten rid of the Bluray player because I used it a total of zero times. I also got rid of the cable box and modem which were useless.
Changes and additions include:
- Xbox 360 with Kinect
- 2 Western Digital NAS drives + 1 hidden behind the Mac Mini
- Sonos bridge for the speaker in the bedroom
- Logitech Bluetooth receiver – for streaming music from Android or other devices
- Apple TV
- Smartthings – home automation system which I haven’t hooked up completely yet, but should have motion sensors, lighting controls, etc..
- Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem – so I don’t have to pay the monthly fee to Comcast
- NETGEAR ProSAFE 5-Port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch – to plug everything through ethernet
- D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Gigabit Router – amazing router and totally worth the extra cost
- Logitech 915-000162 Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote with Color Screen – my other Harmony remote finally died and I replaced it with this one
I think that the next change will be to upgrade the television to something slimmer and upgrade the MacMini to the latest version, but I am waiting until the new year to do that.
Anything I am missing? WDYT?