The point of travelling for people can have very different purposes. The basic principal for travellers is to gain a greater understanding of the world around them. This can mean seeing new cultures, trying new things, meeting new people, etc…
So things that I have learned from my travels…
1. I like to travel in comfort. I spend a lot of my life sitting on planes and in airports… I get sick of it. I have learned ways to lighten my stress when I travel. This means travelling comfortably, sleeping enough and trying to stay healthy.
2. I’m a lazy traveller. I feel like the rest of my life is so rushed that when I am on holiday I like to have a little bit of relaxation.
3. I am comfortable eating a lot of foods. I am definitely not a picky eater when it comes to new foods. I do, however, draw the line at domestic pets and insects.
4. I take really shit photos. I wish I had an eye for photography. I guess I can blame the equiptment that I use, but it really comes down to a complete lack of any patience or eye for photography. We’ll just have to say I make up for it in my documentation of travels in writing with my witty style (come on, throw me a bone here).
5. I like to bargain. This is my newly aquired skill from Asia and I really enjoyed this quite a bit.
6. Poverty scares me. I think this goes back to the being comfortable bits. I haven’t seen people literally starving, but I have seen some desperation and it frightens me because what prevents that from happening to any of us.
7. People are people. Everyone smiles. Everyone laughs. Everyone gets angry. You may be black, white or slant eyed. People are people and there are moments that you can share with someone else where you lock eyes and you both laugh out loud despite not understanding a damned word they are saying.
8. The world is a small place despite there are a hell of a lot of people in it. You never know when you are going to run into someone you know.
9. McDonalds and Starbucks are everywhere. Well, at least the places that I go. And I hate this fact. Hurry up and try to see the world before it is overrun with this garbage and spoiled.
10. I still have a lot of travelling to do.